Thursday, April 5, 2012

E is for Evolution

Why is it that Evolution is such a sticking point with both Atheists and some* of the faithful?
* Now I know that vast majority of Christians say they are fine with evolution.  Even the last pope before this one said that evolution was the mechanism in which species grow.

But yet then I read data about how 54% of Americans don't believe it and some even advocating young Earth creationism?  It boggles the mind.

In southern states this is still a contentious issue, and I am not just talking about the Scopes Monkey trial here, I am talking about school boards just last week still fighting to take evolution off school curricula or put the horribly misnamed "Intelligent Design" on.

Here is the deal. The Theory of Evolution is one of the most supported bits of scientific inquiry there is.  There is evidence for it in biology, chemistry, geology, and genetics.  If it failed to make predictions or describe the data in any of those areas it can be thrown out. But it hasn't.  To be a scientific theory it must falsifiable, that is it must able to be proved false. If a complex animal is discovered in the fossil record that can't be explained then evolution has a problem.  The deal is that this has never happened.

Yet there are still groups out there that doubt it's claims.  Many seem to think this is an either/or option.
I recall a conversation I had some time ago with someone I had considered intelligent.  He said he didn't believe in evolution, he believed in God.  I had not realized that they were mutually exclusive.

I could go on and on about evolution here, but this is not Wikipedia. Nor am I Richard Dawkins.
I am though an educator and blogger.  So I take it to you, my audience.

What do you all think?  Have you ever run into controversy about evolution in schools? Either yourself or your children?  For the Christian readers here, how do you reconcile evolution with your faith?  I suspect the vast majority of you do, you are just so quiet about it!