Sunday, April 1, 2012

A is for Atheist

Hello and welcome to the A to Z Blogging Challenge. I am doing this here and at my other blog The Other Side.
This is the first post of my series of posts on Atheism, Skepticism, Free thought and the freedom you get from not believing in magical tales.

Today's letter is A. So I wanted to talk about Atheism.
Atheism, as the name implies, is the non-belief is gods, God or any supernatural agency in the world.

I am an Atheist.

There are degrees of atheism, I am probably at the farthest end of the spectrum.  For years I was quiet about what I believed, or rather didn't believe. 

These days I am no longer silent.

Atheists are not bad people, far from it really.
Atheists are not evil. Many, myself included, are very active in charities, activism and trying to make the world a better place.
Atheism is not another religion.  It is pretty much, by definition, the exact opposite.

If you want to know more then I suggest sticking around here this month as I talk about all these topics, I'll also point you in the direction of others that are more knowledgeable and eloquent than I am.